Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goals

I read a devotional yesterday titled "Going for the Gold" by Mary Southerland.  The message was simple "Be intentional."

2 Corinthians 1:12 "Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace."

Mary continues..."One of the most comforting thoughts about setting goals is that God is more concerned about my future than I am. When I stop to think about the fact that God has planned out every day of my life, setting goals becomes the daily quest of discovering that plan and choosing to follow it. I find great hope in the knowledge that even though I do not know every
 detail concerning my future, God does, and He has already made every provision for that plan. In other words, where God guides - He provides - which is why I can face each day with a confident expectation that God is sufficient and will bless my life as I seek His plan and set my life goals accordingly. Setting goals is the mark of a seeking heart that longs to please God and experience every blessing He has in store."

At work, I have to set S.M.A.R.T goals for the year.  Mary stated in the devotion that she had a friend that encouraged her to write S.M.A.R.T goals for her life.

What makes a goal "SMART"?
S - Specific
- What will be affected? Is it detailed and focused on results?
M - Measurable - How much will it be affected? The focus is on quality, quantity and cost measures.
A - Action-Oriented - How will the goal be reached? Use action words such as implement, deliver, reduce, etc.
R - Realistic - Is the goal practical and attainable? Decide what is realistic and what constitutes "stretch" in the current role.
T - Time and Resource Constrained - When must the goal be achieved and with what resources?


Duh, why won't I also just stop saying I'm going to change or do better but actually set a goal and be faithful to carry it out.  I use these tools at work - why not also in my personal life. 

Stop just saying I want to take better care of myself, but actually maintain my food journal and exercise regularly.  Make a plan and carry it out.  Tracking progress.

I keep thinking I want to do more for God this year.  I need to stop saying I want to do more and set a goal and be faithful to carry it out. 

God already knows the plans He has for me.  I just need to be faithful along the journey. 

Next step...Plan to take some time in prayer to seek the goals God has for me and write them out. 

2012 Goals will be posted soon.


Seeking Him,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment